Nobody likes being ill. But if there is one thing that will knock a cold on its head, it is a delicious bowl of chicken soup.
There is nothing more warming and comforting than a tasty Chicken Soup for Cold. You might think that you need a whole host of special ingredients to make a soup as good as this.
But you couldn’t be further from the truth. It is remarkably easy to whip this dish together! All you need are a few instructions and a list of ingredients. Luckily for you, we know just how to make this tasty dish.
So, in this article, we are going to go over everything you need to know about making this tasty chicken soup for the cold at home.
Are you excited to check out this recipe? Well, let’s dive right in and get started!
For those of you that need a quick answer, in this section, we are going to go over what you need and the basic steps that you will be following if you want to make this dish. So, for starters, you are going to need the following ingredients: cooking oil, chicken meat, potatoes, garlic cloves, yellow onions, shallots, carrots, celery stalk, ginger, turmeric powder, chicken broth, water, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, fresh bay leaf, fried oregano, Italian seasoning, sea salt, and black pepper,
You only need to follow six steps to make this soup. Boiled down to the basics, they are as follows:
- Lightly brown your chicken in a pan with a little salt and pepper.
- Add your veggies to the pan and sauté them with turmeric powder and Italian seasoning.
- Add the rest of your ingredients to the pot and submerge them in water.
- Lower the heat and allow the soup to cook on the hob for about thirty minutes.
- Take the stems of the herbs out and remove the chicken so that you can shred it.
- Serve your soup and get ready to enjoy it!
You are likely going to need a little more detail on how to make this delicious cold-fighting soup. So, make sure to read on if you want to learn more about making this perfectly seasoned chicken soup at home.
What Makes This Recipe So Good?
There are a lot of reasons to love this soup. It is easy to make. So even an amateur cook should be able to make it without a fuss. But, there is a lot more that you are certainly going to love about this soup. At the top of the list are the following:
- This is a gluten-free chicken soup.
- This is a delicious soup that is dairy-free.
- If you need a Whole30-compliant soup, this is the one for you.
- This is a highly nutritious soup that is packed full of vitamins and minerals.
- Not only is this soup tasty, but it is also hearty and very filling.
- This soup is absolutely packed full of flavor!
- You will be able to make this soup with ease!
If you are not sold on making this delicious soup yourself! You clearly have not read the above list! This is an amazing soup that you will almost certainly love! Give it a chance!
How Nutritious Is This Chicken Soup?
Are you watching your weight? Or are you health conscious and want to make sure that your meals have all the nutrients you need? Well, in this section, we are going to take a look at what nutrients can be found in one serving of chicken soup (Also check out Best Spices For Chicken Soup) for colds.
Below is a list of nutrients that can be found in a serving of this soup:
- Calories – 358 kcal
- Total Fat – 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat – 2.9 g
- Cholesterol – 101 mg
- Sodium – 1154 mg
- Total Carbohydrate – 21.9 g
- Dietary Fiber – 3.7 g
- Total Sugars – 6.6 g
- Protein – 41.6 g
- Vitamin D – 0 mcg
- Calcium – 67 mg
- Iron – 3 mg
- Potassium – 1087 mg
Remember that these nutrient values may differ from batch to batch. Your quantities may change slightly, or you may substitute some ingredients. But this does give you an idea of how much of these nutrients you can find in your serving of chicken soup.
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Chicken
Before you can do cooking of any kind, there is quite a long list of ingredients that you are going to need. Luckily for you, we know exactly what goes into the perfect chicken soup recipe. As such, we have listed everything you need down below:
- Cooking Oil – This recipe calls for one tablespoon of a cooking oil of your choice.
- Chicken Breasts – You need one and a half pounds of boneless and skinless chicken.
- Potatoes – One pound of chopped and cubed potatoes is needed.
- Garlic Cloves – This recipe calls for eight cloves of garlic.
- Yellow Onion – One yellow onion which has been chopped and diced is needed.
- Shallot – You will need one diced shallot for this recipe.
- Carrots – This soup recipe calls for three large carrots cut into dials.
- Celery Stalks – Three roughly chopped celery stalks are needed for this recipe.
- Fresh Ginger – This recipe calls for two tablespoons of fresh ginger.
- Turmeric Powder – You will need two teaspoons of turmeric powder for this recipe.
- Chicken Broth – This recipe requires eight cups of chicken or vegetable broth.
- Water – You will need one cup of water to make this tasty soup.
- Fresh Rosemary – One sprig of chopped rosemary is needed for this recipe.
- Fresh Thyme – This recipe calls for four springs of fresh thyme.
- Fresh Bay Leaf – One fresh or dried bay leaf is needed for this recipe.
- Dried Oregano – You need two teaspoons of dried oregano.
- Italian Seasoning – One teaspoon of Italian seasoning for this soup recipe.
- Sea Salt – You will need a half a teaspoon of sea salt.
- Black Pepper – This recipe calls for half a teaspoon of ground black pepper.
Now that you have all your ingredients in the kitchen, you can now start cooking your delicious cold chicken soup. One taste and you will be hooked!
What Are The Steps To Making This Delicious Soup?
You should have all you need to make this tasty cold-fighting soup. Now all that you need is to follow these few steps. Don’t be intimidated! It is far easier than you might think to make this delightful cold chicken soup.
Step 1 – Brown Your Chicken In A Pot
Before you can do anything else, you need to put your chicken in the pot with a little cooking oil, salt, and pepper. You can use a large pot or a Dutch oven to do this.
Regardless of what you choose, you need to brown your chicken for two to three minutes per side. Once this is done, take the chicken out of the pot and put it aside for later.
Step 2 – Sauté Your Vegetables
In the pot where you cooked your chicken, toss in your onions and allow them to cook for about two minutes. Once that time has elapsed, add your ginger and garlic (Also check out Easy And Delightful Ginger Garlic Bok Choy Soup), and allow them to cook for about one minute before adding the other ingredients.
Next, add your celery, carrots, turmeric powder, dried oregano, and Italian herbs. Allow these ingredients to simmer together as you mix them together. Allow all these ingredients to cook for one to two minutes.
Step 3 – Add The Rest Of Your Ingredients
Add the rest of your ingredients to the pot, this should include the following: fresh bay leaves, potatoes, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, potatoes, broth, water, salt, pepper, and chicken breast.
With all of the ingredients, you need to make sure that the chicken is entirely submerged in the water and chicken broth. Bring your mixture to a boil and allow it to boil for five minutes.
Step 4 – Allow Your Soup To Simmer For Thirty Minutes
Once your soup has been boiling for five minutes, turn the heat down to medium-low and allow it to cook for thirty minutes without the lid on. You will know that your soup is done when the potatoes are properly cooked.
The potatoes are cooked when you can easily pierce them with a form. On top of that, make sure that the chicken is completely cooked before you move on to the next step.
Step 5 – Remove Your chicken And Shred It With Two Forks
Once you are sure that your chicken has cooked through, take it out of the pot. Also, remove the bay leaf, and stems of the thyme. Place your chicken on a plate or chopping board.
Using two forks, shred the chicken into little ribbons and then put it back in your soup pot. At this point, you can taste your soup to see if any additional seasoning is needed.
Step 6 – Dish Up Your Soup And Enjoy!
With that, you should be done. Simply stir your soup and then scoop some into a bowl to enjoy! You can enjoy this dish with a side or on its own! Regardless, you should have a delightful soup that you will not be able to stop eating.
What Is The Best Way To Store Leftover Chicken Soup?
So, you have some leftover soup. How do you properly store it? All you need to do is pour your soup into an airtight container and put it in the refrigerator. It should keep for about five days.
Heating up this soup is super easy! All you need to do is pour the soup into a saucepan or a microwave bowl and warm it up in the microwave or on the stove top.
Are there Other Cold Fighting Remedies You Can Make At Home?
If you want to make a different cold remedy at home, there are actually quite a few options that might work for you. Below are a few foods cold fighting remedies that you might want to make a different homemade cold remedy:
- Apple Ginger Tea – by The Spruce Eats
- Homemade Fire Cider by Good Food Baddie
- Carrot and Lentil Soup by Vegan On Board
- Elderberry Ginger Sea Moss Gummies by Good Food Baddie
- Tropical Papaya Detox Smoothie by Make Drinks
- Savory White Bean Kale Soup by Umami Girl
- Roasted Tomato and Basil Soup by Ambitious Kitchen
- Ginger, Garlic and Bok Choy Soup by Good Food Baddie
There are loads of healthy drinks, foods, and snacks that you can make which are beneficial for your health. Any of these recipes will help you to make delicious and beneficial foods and drinks that will be able to fight your lingering cold.
We hope that you have enjoyed reading this article and learning how to make this perfectly seasoned, warm, filling, and delicious chicken soup at home. It really is a super easy soup to make.
To top it off, this chicken soup will absolutely kick your cold to the curb. So, if you are feeling under the weather, you should head to the kitchen and whip up this delicious chicken soup recipe.
But this soup is more than a delightful flavor and alluring scents, it is highly nutritious, gluten-free, dairy-free, Whole30, hearty, filling, flavorful, and more. Anybody that tries this delightful soup is almost guaranteed to love each and every spoonful of this amazing soup.
If you have enjoyed reading this article, you should absolutely check out some of our other articles.
We cover a ton of remarkable topics, some of which you are sure to find interesting and maybe even useful. So, take a moment to pursue our library, there is sure to be something there that will pique your interest!
Thanks for reading!
Frequently Asked Questions
In this section, we are going to try to answer some of your most frequently asked questions concerning chicken soup for colds and other related topics. Let’s do it!
Not as such, but soup does have a placebo effect. It is a source of comfort, and warmth that can help you to feel better.
On top of that, the broth in a soup can help to keep someone that is ill nice and hydrated. The heat can also help to open your nasal passageways, which in turn can make you feel better for a little white.
The steam and heat in a soup can help to speed up the movement of mucus. When this happens, you can relieve congestion. Certain healthy soups can also reduce inflammation in the body.
But that is not all, soup can also enhance your immune system, which is what is responsible for protecting your body from viruses and bacteria.
Usually, a cold must run its course. But there are a few things that you can do that will help to get rid of your cold faster than it normally would. Below is a list of remedies that could help to get rid of your cold fast:
1. Stay Hydrated.
3. Soothe A Sore Throat.
4. Combat Stuffiness.
5. Relieve Pain.
6. Sip Warm Liquids.
7. Try Honey.
8. Add Moisture To The Air.
Bear in mind that these remedies will not cure you, but they can help to reduce the effects of a cold. They can also reduce the amount of time you suffer from your terrible cold symptoms.
Usually, soup will contain quite a bit of sodium, which helps relieve awful cold-like symptoms. As you might know, gargling salt can help to alleviate a sore throat. The same can be said for the sodium in soup.
The heat of soup can also help to clear nasal congestion, as well as relieve the pressure you feel in your sinuses. That is not all, soup is often rich in minerals and vitamins that can help to speed up your recovery from an illness like the common cold.
If you are not keen to take medication, you might be wondering what you can do to break a cold naturally. Well, there are a few things that you can do, including the following:
2. Vitamin C.
4. Honey And Tea.
5. Chicken Soup.
7. A Steamy Shower.
8. Gargling Warm Salt Water.
If you are ill enough, you should see your doctor. Do not rely on natural remedies like this for all cases. But, if you only have a mild cold, you should absolutely try some of these natural cold remedies.
If you find yourself congested, you might find that it is a good idea to rub some diluted eucalyptus oil on your chest. This is a tried and trusted remedy that can help to clear the stuffiness of your nose. You can also inhale steam with eucalyptus or peppermint in it for the same result.
In most adults and children, a cold will last between seven and ten days. That being said, it can last longer depending on how severe the cold is. In younger children, aged five and under. People this young can have a cold for between ten and fourteen days.
If you want to add a bit of a kick to your chicken soup, there are a few things that you can add that will add some spicy and flavor to your bland chicken soup. We recommend adding a little more salt, a pinch of chili flakes, or some lemon juice.
Making Good Food Baddie’s Chicken Soup For Cold At HomeCourse: Uncategorized
Do you want to make yourself Good Food Baddie’s delicious and warming chicken soup for cold at home? Check out this article to learn everything you need to know.
Fresh Bay Leaf
- Brown Your Chicken In A Pot
- Sauté Your Vegetables
- Add The Rest Of Your Ingredients
- Allow Your Soup To Simmer For Thirty Minutes
- Remove Your chicken And Shred It With Two Forks
- Dish Up Your Soup And Enjoy!
- Oyster Stew Recipe (Inspired By Paula Deen) - May 11, 2023
- Back To My Southern Roots’ Super Easy And Tasty Slow Cooker Beef Stew With Onion Soup Mix - May 11, 2023
- Healthy And Hearty Vegan Lentil Stew - May 11, 2023